Members of the Skidmore’s Alumni Association Board of Directors are pleased to announce a spirit song competition in conjunction with the College’s Office of Alumni Relations and College Events. The purpose of the competition is to provide an opportunity for current students, alumni, and/or teams of current students and alumni, to display group spirit, demonstrate artistic creativity, and relate to the College’s motto, Creative Thought Matters.
- The competition is open to current students and alumni.
- Participants may work in groups. There is no limit on the number of entries per individual or group.
- Music files should be submitted as .mp3 or .wav files with the accompanying lyrics. Submissions must be made via email to email@example.com, or be dropped off in person at Skidmore’s Colton Alumni Welcome Center, located directly across from the main entrance to campus on North Broadway.
- The song should be an up-tempo anthem designed to excite which will be used at sporting events, concerts, celebrations and assemblies. It should not be specific to a single sport or affinity and it should be able to endure/stand over time. Lyrics should be creative, but not offensive.
- Entries should be between 1-2 minutes long (approximately 32 measures).
- The following websites may provide useful inspiration and/or reference: www.1122productions.com/fightsongs/a.html, www.fightmusic.com, and www.fightsongs.com.
- May-June 30, 2016: Songs will be submitted by current students and/or alumni only.
- June 30-July 15, 2016: Each submission will be reviewed by three randomly selected members of the selection committee and evaluated on the criterion outlined below:
- Should have a “chorus” or other repeating refrain or line that is catchy; something easy for students to remember that will stay with them.
- July 15-31, 2016: All entrants will be informed of the status of their submissions following this evaluation period.
- Submissions that meet the criteria according to committee members will move forward to be reviewed and voted on by the full committee.
- Entrants whose submissions do not meet the criteria will receive an expression of gratitude for their participation and a reminder about the Sing-off.
- Should have a "chorus" or other repeating refrain or line that should be catchy - easy for students to remember and stay with them
- Theme should be appropriate for singing at ceremonies, to encourage Skidmore athletic teams, and for other venues
- Should be relevant to the Skidmore campus and community but also able to stand over time
- Lyrics should be creative but not offensive
- August 1-15, 2016: Each remaining submission will be reviewed by the members of the committee independently. Each committee member will choose five songs to submit to the finals.
- August 15, 2016: The committee will meet to discuss their votes and decide on the top three to perform at the Sing-off to be held on campus on Saturday, October 1, 2016 in conjunction with the College’s Homecoming Weekend. All finalists will be informed of the status of their submissions.
- If an individual is unavailable to participate in the Sing-off, an on-campus performer will be identified to perform the submission.
- Finalists whose submissions are not moving forward to the Sing-off will be thanked and receive a token gift for their participation and a reminder about the Sing-off.
- October 1, 2016 Sing-off: the winner will be chosen based on number of votes.
Participants with the winning submission will receive a Skidmore/Saratoga Weekend, including:
- accommodations in Northwoods Village,
- dinner with President Glotzbach (based on availability/scheduling),
- use of a box at Saratoga Race Course,
- and a certificate for spa treatments at the Roosevelt Baths.